So I left off with the end of Barcelona the last blog. Monday night I flew from Barcelona to Sevilla. The weather in general in Spain was not nearly as nice as I was expecting, and I think that's why my thoughts of my trip in Spain were jaded, because I really did have a great time/ate some GREAT food in Spain.
Sevilla was cute--small but quaint, very charming. I also stayed in a GREAT hostel that was not expensive. The Oasis backpacker's hostel in Sevilla is a great hostel to stay at if you are looking for one. There is also apparently one in Granada. Anyways, I got to Granada airport, took a bus from the airport to the bus station, and then the tram to Placa Nueva and walked about 5 minutes to my hostel in the rain. Was not the ideal way to get to my hostel, although the hostel was so nice when I got there.
My first day there I walked all around Seville with someone who I just met at my hostel who was really nice and funny. It was great to see the city just by the back streets and stuff like that. I did go to the cathedral there, which is not gothic style and I think the 4th largest cathedral in the world. Supposedly Christopher Columbus's tomb is there, although I was too mesmerized by either the organ that traverses the width of the church or the altar of GOLD. It was beautiful. Has a great road for shopping. Small town--I would suggest that you could definitely see Seville, the entirety of what you need to see in two days.
I made my way over to Granada on Wednesday for the day--easy way to get there, either bus or train. Bus by www.alsa.es Anyways, they cost just about the same and take just about the same amount of time. I saw TINA!! It was so fun to see her. As we discussed, she's the only friend who I've had since kindergarten, and even though we're not like the closest friends in the world, we are the oldest friends that each other has. We just get together every once in a while and spill out our lives to each other and then resume at some other point. Anyways, I went up to the highest point in Granada, and we went into the very small cathedral, which has the tombs of the King and Queen of Spain who made Spain catholic. Then we went and got tea--it was raining and cold the whole time I was there, but it was really nice to see Tina.
Some of my favorite spanish food:
gezspacho: cold tomato soup, some of them were very cucumber-y, some very tomato-y but very good cold spanish soup
croquetas: the ones that I had were only filled with cheese and not ham, but basically the tapas version of cheese curds
chocolate con churros: ok picture churros without the cinnamon or sugar, so just the fried dough, and then picture a cup of melted chocolate to dip them in and drink after you are done with the churros. amazing.
bavarias (i think that's the name of what it was): fried fish. granted, not the irish fish n chips, but still pretty good.
spanish tortilla: basically like an omelette with potato
bravas: potato chunks/wedges and a sauce. the sauce can either be the touristy kind (mayonnaise-ish with spicy sauce so it looks pink) or an orange spicy sauce and a mayonnaise-y sauce slapped on there separately, although that is the more authentic version.
cava: spanish version of champagne. ok, i know, not a food.
Vino tinto: sangria mixed with fanta. yes, i know, again, not a food.
Those ones are the ones that I can remember as of now. I'm with my friend Maggie right now at her apartment in Paris. Loving Paris again as usual. Have fallen back in love with it. Will come back often to Paris. Will blog about Paris on Sunday when I get back into Strasbourg. Love and miss you all. See you in like nine and a half weeks! Yikes! More to come :)
No comments:
Post a Comment