Monday, January 19, 2009

Quelle week-end!

So I am still feeling jet lag I think...I am not yet able to sleep through the night, even though I was able to the first night that I got here. I will be fast asleep for about 3-4 hours, and then my body will wake itself up and I'll toss and turn for most of the rest of the night. Anyways, I'm sure that'll fix itself soon.

This past weekend went pretty well. Friday night I went out with a bunch of the new SU people and the two other girls who stayed this semester. It was nice to get to know some of the new people. All of those who I've met so far are pretty cool and nice. I had one of my favorite beers out here, Kriek--it's a Belgian Blonde beer made from cherries, so really you think you're just drinking a carbonated cherry drink.

Anyways, saturday was a lazy day for me--I spent most of the day trying to see what prices there were for my winter break which will be at the end of February, 3 days after my birthday. In the afternoon, I went with my host family to "les bains chauds" It's a place that is like a spa, it has a ton of hot pools though--however there is a certain order you go. Each time you go it gets hotter and hotter. This place was in Germany just outside of Freiberg, which was only about an hour drive from Strasbourg. After being there for a good chunk of time and practically falling asleep in the hot pool that had music and plenty of noodles for you to float on, we made our way to Colmar.

Colmar is another quaint little town in Alsace--way smaller than Strasbourg however. I like it a lot for its quaintness actually. We ate a great dinner at a restaurant there and met a guy from Chicago who worked for Wrigley (apparently there is a Wrigley factory around Colmar). Throughout the dinner I helped translate between him and the waitress which had its comical moments. After eating a HUGE dinner, we drove up to their cabin in Thannenkirch which is in the Vosges mountains and stayed there for Sunday. My host mom and I braved the drizzle and fog to go on a short hike, then I napped, then I watched "Les Bronzés font du ski" with my host parents. One of the funniest french movies I've seen so far. We ended the weekend in Strasbourg with a dinner at my host grandma's apartment--these dinners are always huge. Needless to say I will need to rent that bike soon so I can start exercising in some way again.

Hope everything is going well on that side of the ocean, or on this side of the ocean for that matter. More to come :)

No comments: